FAQs

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Love and Illness: Choose A Partner Who Helps You Rest

During A Visit With Aunt Mari at the End of June

When I crashed last week, Kiernan was right there encouraging me to rest, to take it easy, not to overdo, to do what my body needed. He adjusts and adapts to my needs as the come up. 

For me, having a partner who never sees me as lazy, who can adjust to the fluctuations in how I feel from day to day, who actively encourages me and helps me to rest, and is kind and gentle with me is vital. 

It's so hard for me to put on the brakes when I am feeling better. Kiernan will gently say to me: "Honey, you've been pushing really hard lately. And I understand why. But can you try to put just a little tap on the brakes?" 





Last weekend was one when we both had schedules that would have worked for me to have stayed over for the weekend with him, but even when I am feeling better, this is exhausting. 

I just said: "Honey, I'm sorry, but I just can't stay over this weekend. I need my own bed and my own space at home." So on Friday evening Kiernan came over to have dinner with Mom and me. Afterwards, we snuggled up on the sofa and watched a movie (Gershwin and Tovah joined us, of course) and K stayed the night. 

When we started the movie I said: "Why don't we do this more often?" I think we may need to institute a Friday Night Movie Night that forces us to just RELAX and REST! We both love movies, so it's a perfect evening!

We spent Saturday afternoon together having lunch, going to a photography exhibit, and out for ice cream. 

Then, we put on the brakes.  I rested, blogged and just stayed home for the remainder of the weekend.

Our time together was perfect--we found a way to have a wonderful weekend and still give me the rest I needed.

Blessings,

Emily


No comments: