FAQs

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Great Girl Time With Marla!

Going OUT to Dinner!

Today, I'm resting, recuperating and reflecting on a special visit from Marla.

This girl. She is the best.

Marla has been one of the most faithful of friends on this journey. 

We met freshman year of college in our eating house and by senior year we were roommates. I missed out on being a bridesmaid or attending her wedding. I have never met her children in person. I haven't seen her husband, a fellow Davidson grad, since graduation. I've never been able to visit her.

Marla just remains steadfast and loyal through it all. 



Painted Nails


She's been here to visit several times, including during the Year of the Pajama. She's been here when all I could do was sit in the recliner for a little while and chat. The rest of the time she would read, rest, run or chat with my mom.

She loves Mama Renee. They chat. Mom feeds Marla 'on the hour'. 

I am just so happy about this particular visit with Marla. It's the first time I haven't been suffering through the visit. I don't think we ever even left the house on any of her other visits. She was last here three years ago, right before my major improvements began.


We Enjoyed the La Crema at Dinner (I Discovered 2 Glasses is, um, Too Much!)


We had real honest to goodness fantastic girl time.

We painted our nails together. We gabbed. We watched a movie together (My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2). We went shopping at Ulta and she helped me pick out new eye make-up and body scrub and foot scrub. She introduced me to all sorts of fun new products. We went to the wine store and she showed me all kinds of fun wines to try and treated Mom and I to some wines she likes. We went out to dinner at my favorite Thai and Sushi restaurant. We went shopping at a little local gallery shop. I drove her all around in town in my little Red Curry. I picked her up and dropped her off at the airport.



Saying Goodbye at the Airport


I have missed out on girl time like this. And my heart is so full. This is what I imagine a girls weekend to really be like--sharing experiences like watching chick-flicks, painting nails, going shopping for make-up. 

And talking. A lot. A whole lot. 

Marla, my friend, thank you. You have made such incredible efforts to maintain this friendship, even when I cannot. You sing my song for me when I cannot. You move mountains to make visits happen. And you keep coming back so that we can renew our friendship over and over. We grow and learn together. Nothing beats face-to-face, one-on-one time together.

I love you.

Blessings,

Emily


No comments: