FAQs

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Living the Miracles

Me and Gershwin


Today we went on a Nature Cruise out of Bar Harbor where we saw the Porcupine Islands, Bar Harbor, Acadia and Cadillac Mountain, Ironbound Island, Schoodic Peninsula, two bald eagles (including one that dove for a fish right in front of us), birds, harbor seals (my favorite), several cottages of the rich and famous and many other islands. 

To make the trip even cooler, we were able to take the puppies! And they did so great. I was one proud mommy. ;) 


One of the Porcupine Islands (High in Front, Low in Back Like a Porcupine)

As I wrote in my blog post yesterday, I was pretty nervous about turning around and making a big outing again today after being at Cadillac Mountain climbing all over the rocks. I admit that I've been using Ambien to make sure I get sleep. It makes my turn around for the next day's outing possible.

When my alarm went off at 10:45 this morning, I was able to quickly get up and get moving. Mom packed my lunch, and off we went on the 45 minute drive to the nature cruise line.



A Lobster Boat
There are 7,000 Lobster Licenses and Each Lobsterman Can Have 800 Traps
Each Has a Unique Buoy
The Bay is Completely Decorated with Buoys

When we arrived, we were greeted by a lot of steps, a trek to the bathroom, and a trek to the boat. No handicapped accessibility. No short walks. We sat on uncomfortable benches on the boat with my feet down. I held Gershwin on my lap. I stood up to take pictures. I didn't feel pain from turning my neck. I never felt too tired to enjoy the view. 


Bar Harbor is Known for the 'Cottages' of the Rich and Famous
We Weren't Super into This Part of the Tour, so Here is Just One Example of a  Summer Cottage
Summer Cottages Had to be at Least 30 Rooms!
It wasn't until I settled in for my bath tonight that I thought about what I had just done today. What I had just done this week. What I had just been able to enjoy.


Our Perky 77 Year Old Tour Guide, Thom

When I called to book the nature cruise, I never even asked about parking or stairs or bathrooms. And when we got there and we did need to walk the stairs I didn't have to panic about what I was going to do to make it. I didn't have to worry about whether or not I could sit up for the 2 hour cruise.

When we first decided to go to Maine, one of the first things I tried to find out was if there was a way to go on a whale watching or nature cruise. I've wanted to do something like this that badly. The whale watching tour would have been a bit of a stretch for me physically, so we chose this option instead.



Cadillac Mountain from The Ocean!

Every day, I'm definitely reminded of my limitations, most particularly in how much of a truncated day I have. The nature cruise (and trip to and from there) was my entire day. 

This trip is only possible because Mom picks up all of the other pieces. She does the cooking and laundry and walking the dogs and packing lunches and driving and keeping the house running. 


I Can't Remember What Kind of Birds These Were!

In almost every other way, though, this trip is a true celebration. It feels like I am out living my miracle of healing. Feeling the wind through my hair, being on a boat, holding Gershwin in my lap, watching Tovah with the wind in her hair, sitting next to Mom, and being surrounded by some of the most exceptional beauty I have ever seen is indescribable.


Not Too Many Seals Out Today, But We DID See Some
My Favorite Part of the Trip!

 Seeing these seals made my day! I love, love, love seals and marine wildlife. To be able to see them in person is something I will never forget.

They Were Either Napping (They Sleep Vertically) or Fishing for Food

Egg Rock Light House
Considered an 'Ugly' Lighthouse

 Other than our time at the beach, which is a very different kind of trip, this is actually my first 'vacation'--and first one that has involved any kind of sightseeing adventures in over 18 years.


Ironbound Island
Very Large and One of the Only Virgin Forests in Existence
Yes, it is a battle to not want more, to not be disappointed in what I'm missing out on, or not to envy those who can spend a long day in Acadia.




But it's also a lesson in shifting my thinking back to the positive. 


Tovah Enjoyed the Ride

I have friends who are homebound like I used to be. I have friends who are suffering immensely right now from their debilitating symptoms. 


Cadillac Mountain and Acadia from Far Away

I remember what that feels like.

This Teeny Little Island is Gorgeous
House was Built by J.P. Morgan for His Daughter

I will never forget because it is that dramatic and that traumatic.

Heading Back to Bar Harbor

When I am out on the boat, soaking in the sun, feeling the wind through my hair, I am savoring it. Not just for myself but for my friends and others for whom these experiences are literally impossible.


The Back Side of the Island with the J.P. Morgan House
Her House was Made with the Special Granite that is in Acadia
Notice the Gorgeous Pink Rocks Here!
 Being able to experience the beauty of this world and be out in it, rather than in the confines of my home, is incredible.

The Most Glorious Day to be On a Nature Cruise

I know how very fortunate we are to be on this trip and how very fortunate I am to have this opportunity to try traveling for the first time again.

Sparkling Water


We sure did pick a most spectacular place on Earth for our first vacation.


A Porcupine Island and Acadia 
 This whole trip has been a series of triumphs and victories. 

Our Little Tour Boat
 It will also bring with it reminders that I am still sick. 

A Picture of a Picture
They Took These as We Got on the Boat.
Maybe When I Get Home I can Scan It!


But I am here. I am doing this. I am experiencing this beauty, this place, this thing people do called vacationing and sightseeing. 

I am spending time with Mom and the puppies.

I am living my miracles, big and little, every day.

Blessings,

Emily

No comments: