FAQs

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Goodbye, Maine. Goodbye, Acadia.





We spent our last afternoon here in Maine making one last trip to Acadia for a short visit to Jordan Pond, one of the sites we had yet to visit. 




The puppies really enjoyed the path along the pond.




When deciding what to do for our last day here, we could decide between a quiet day at the house or a drive into Acadia. I wanted to be out in nature, and it was too chilly to sit outside on the deck at the house, so off we went.




We have been trying to stop at Bubble Pond as well, but missed the parking area both times today!




These little mountains in the photo here are called The Bubbles.




The pond was formed during the last glacial period. Here again we saw boulders made from rock materials not otherwise seen in the rest of the area, but that had traveled with the glaciers to create the formation of the pond.




Here at the pond there is also a lot of the red granite that decorates much of Acadia.




By the end of the two weeks here, I think we've grown a little weary of the traffic to and from Acadia, the traffic and difficulty parking at Acadia, and the long drive to and from, so by today, I think we feel ready to head home to be with others we love, see our own garden, and celebrate Rosh Hashanah.




We walked about 1/2 mile around the one side of the pond and then turned around and came back.




To walk the entire path around the pound it is a 2.5 hour hike and 3.2 miles. 




Even though I was pretty tired today and neither of us was up much for the drive, I'm really glad we went back to Acadia one more time take in this beautiful place.




It's stunning from every look out point and view.




The weather today was also a perfect, brisk, cool, sunny Fall day.





I've been learning more and more about the value of being out in nature. I'm fascinated by the concept of forest bathing, or the idea that being outside amongst the trees and keeping a quiet mind can have a powerful impact on our health--and in particular calming the sympathetic nervous system and activating the parasympathetic nervous system. 





For a girl who never found much solace in nature, I have come to find that nature is now one of my greatest joys, my greatest comforts and my greatest stress-relievers.





This trip has confirmed my love of nature, and my need to make more space for it in my life.




This is something I know Kiernan and I will enjoy together!



After one last look at The Bubbles, we headed home. We stopped to take one last look at Bar Harbor and the Porcupine Islands from Acadia.


In this picture you can also see a sand bar in front of the boats that reaches from the island on the left into the town of Bar Harbor. If you time it just right, you can walk from Bar Harbor to the island at low tide! Just don't get stuck there at high tide!




Tonight, we enjoyed the last of our haddock chowder, our halibut steaks, and our Morton's Moo ginger ice cream. For lunch, I finished off the last of the lobster salad.

Then, we finished packing up and settled into bed for our big trip home!




Thank you, Maine. Thank you Barbara and Paul. We have loved our time here. We have ALL enjoyed the beauty of this place, the fresh air, the sunshine, the beautiful views, the good food and the comfy house.

Blessings,

Emily





No comments: