FAQs

Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Peace of Schoodic Point

Sunrise from my Bedroom Window

After taking a pajama day yesterday, I woke up feeling like we could go on an easy, low-key outing to take in some more of Maine's beauty.

I never, and I mean, never see the sunrise. I leave that job to my man who wakes up at 5 AM. 

But today, I woke up at 5:45 AM to pee, only to get a glimpse of the pre-dawn light. I happened to have my camera by my bedside and snapped a pic. What a beautiful way to start the day.


Isn't This Adorable? The Schoodic Point Chamber of Commerce.


Today we chose to go to Schoodic Peninsula, also a 45 minute drive from where we are staying. Schoodic Peninsula is the only part of Acadia National Park attached to the mainland. It is also visited by only about 10% of those who come to Acadia National Park, which is why we chose to go there today.

Fall has definitely arrived, but today was sunny. Tomorrow it is expected to be much colder and rainy/dreary.


Dark Basalt Mixed with Smooth Pebbles


We wanted a quiet day out in nature without the crowds and without pushing my limits too much.

There's a short 5.5 mile Park Loop Road around the peninsula and, other than Schoodic Point, not a lot of stops or lookouts.


A Blue Heron!

On our way to Schoodic we spotted this Blue Heron,



some funky plants, 

Clamming at Low Tide

and some people out clamming!

A Vein of Dark Basalt, Known as a Diabase Dike, Has Pushed into the Red Granite on the Point

We spent most of our time (about an hour or so) at Schoodic Point.


Cadillac Mountain from Schoodic Point

I hope you'll just take a few moments this Sunday morning/afternoon/evening or whenever you are reading this post to enjoy the view.


Taking It All In

Enjoy our smiling faces and windblown hair.




We all enjoyed climbing on the rocks and sitting for a bit to take in the view of the sunshine, waves, clouds, rocks and Cadillac Mountain.




We watched the changing sunlight.




Schoodic Point was stunningly beautiful with some unique features we hadn't seen on Mount Desert Island.



Wildflowers Growing Out of the Rocks

Cadillac Mountain 


It's got a fantastic view of Cadillac Mountain to the West. 

Mom and Twinkle Toes

While Schoodic is also made up of red granite, the granite here is much different looking than that at Cadillac Mountain and much more porous (and therefore more prone to erosion).


It Was A Little Breezy Today!



The puppies were real troopers when it came to climbing the rocks! Gershwin seemed a little uneasy today, though, and we're not sure why.


Our Little Adventurers!

 I'm so proud of these little guys jumping and climbing up and down off of all of the rocks. They are becoming quite the adventurers!






There is a huge area covered by the red granite where people were sitting and just taking in the views of the ocean and Cadillac Mountain.




While we did some climbing on the rocks today, it was much lower intensity and much more low key. It was just right.


Feeling Triumphant Again

Here I am with Cadillac Mountain in the background!



 This is a bit cheesy, but I was so excited to have Mom take my picture with Cadillac Mountain in the background. I never imagined I'd be somewhere so spectacular, on my own two feet, taking it all in and feeling pretty good. I just wanted to have a photo to remember this moment. 


The Red Granite That Covers Schoodic Peninsula and Schoodic Point

In contrast to this red, more porous granite pictured above, there is something called diabase dikes.


We Thought This Almost Looked Like Wood 


Here is one example where the dark basalt has pushed its way through the older granite to create a dark stripe.


Gorgeous Spot to Watch the Surf Against the Rocks


I spent a lot of time just watching the water at this one little spot.

Very Different Than Sunset Beach!



We climbed all the way down from where those trees are!



Just hanging out and catching some rays.



I've tried to spend some time on this trip learning to better use my camera and some of its features, now that my energy is a bit better.



I hope you'll enjoy this little video that gives a taste of Maine's shoreline at Schoodic Point and our day here. I loved watching the waves hit the shoreline. If you're reading this in email, click here to go to the link on YouTube.


We returned home from our afternoon relaxed and happy, ready for a nap, dinner and an evening in at Lion's Maine.

When you get this blog post, it will be Sunday, and we will be off to Bar Harbor for the day to do a little shopping, check out a famous ice cream place, and a path along the harbor. Dogs are welcome in most stores and restaurants, so the puppies will be joining us! :)

Blessings,

Emily


No comments: