FAQs

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Healing: Why Now? What's Working?

Dressed Up, Make-Up On, Hair Styled, Jewelry On, Nails Painted and Ready to Go OUT to Dinner to Celebrate Sarah's 40th. It's Hard to Believe This Is My Life!


To so many of us, myself included, my healing seems nothing short of miraculous. How did I go so many years with so many failed treatments and then see so much improvement so quickly in a couple of short years? This past year the improvement has surprised me so much because it has been completely linear in nature.


Our Mums

I thought the best person to ask for an answer to the questions we all have would be Dr. ANS.

I asked him the following:

If you were to answer the question: What is making me feel better? What made me get so much better? How would you answer it? I'm struggling with how to answer this (and of course, I get asked it a LOT!).

Our Mums


He answered as follows:

I would say it has to have been a variety of things: the prior Lyme therapy probably set the stage for later improvement, Ryan’s [PT] work on the TOS [Thoracic Outlet Syndrome] and other alignment issues has been instrumental, and the medication changes (with Mestinon at the top of that list), plus a great deal of your own insight and attitude to having a chronic illness (although I don’t want to suggest that having the right attitude is sufficient on its own). We also know that for some people, improvement comes naturally over time, although we don’t know what process in the body changes to make that happen.


Fall is Here!


I feel like I've found a really great combination of therapies (medications, PT, massage, acupuncture, at-home coping strategies, dietary changes, counseling, etc.). They all seem to be working together in great synergy, feeding off of one another and allowing healing to continue. It's also important to hold on to the fact that the previous years of trial and error were not wasted. I also keep healing as my number one priority. 

That's the scoop in a nutshell. Throughout the rest of Dysautonomia Awareness Month, I'll try to elaborate more on the specifics of these things and please feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Be a dancing light,

Emily

1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

This was so interesting to read. Thank you for sharing what is helping you and for sharing what Dr. ANS said. I find it especially interesting that he said that some people eventually improve over time, but that they don't know why that happens. There is so much that we know, but still so much that is unknown about CFS and dysautonomia! The body is so complex.

I'm so thankful that you are continuing to heal! I love celebrating that with you!