FAQs

Friday, October 09, 2015

Another Year of Wynton!



With Carlos Henriquez


Here I am with Carlos Henriquez, the man Wynton Marsalis calls the future of jazz. At 36 years of age Mr. Henriquez is remarkable, and I had the privilege of meeting him in the lobby after the performance, getting his autograph, having a photo op, and having him teach me how to count 13/8 time. :) 

This is the third time in the past seven years that we have been able to see Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis perform here locally. As I've said in previous years, it's a concert that always leaves one 'joyous and bouncing like a chicken.'


Mom and Me

On the way home from the concert, I blurted out to Mom and Kiernan:

I just sat up for a concert for over two hours, had energy afterwards to wait in line to get an autograph from Carlos, was able to fully enjoy the concert without pain, sweating, forceful heartbeats, the need to put my feet up or the urge to lie down. I was able to dress up, wear make-up, style my hair, put on jewelry and paint my nails in the afternoon before my nap. I could fully and completely enjoy the concert without thinking about my symptoms or worrying about being able to sit up.

Oh. The. Joy.

It humbles me.

Kiernan and Me


I love that two of Wynton's concerts have been timed right around my birthday--my 33rd and my 40th. What a change my life has made since that first concert outing.

My 33rd birthday was the year I met Miss Lisa Extraordinaire, who changed my life by showing me that she would make it possible, no matter what it took, for me to be able to see live music again. As much as I enjoyed that concert and as happy as I was to be there, every minute of it was a physical struggle. 


Me and Carlos!


For those of you who are just joining me on my journey her at Dancing Light's Studio, here are some links to earlier posts about what it took for me to be able to go to a concert, how much courage it took me to make it to the first concert, how Lisa changed my life, and how different it was for me to go to a concert.

My first concert outing in a decade, meeting Wynton, meeting Lisa and turning 33:





My second concert outing to see Wynton AND meeting him AGAIN!



These posts are powerful reminders for me of my journey.

The Concert-Goers


Being able to sit up close, rather in the very back row where the handicapped seating is, made the concert more remarkable. I am so excited to see more performances sitting in 'regular' seats! I still get nervous before a bit outing like this in terms of hoping I will be having a 'good' day, and that the sitting up won't be a struggle. I have to be very careful in pacing myself before and after the concert.

Going to a concert is still not something I do in the same way a healthy person would, but I can do it!


Chatting with Carlos

I think that Lisa may have wanted to make it possible for me to meet Wynton again this time. Instead, I saw her get to take a very young boy back to meet Wynton. As I watched the little boy go back to meet Wynton, I smiled and hoped he'd have the same magical experience I did twice before. 

Sure, I'd love to have seen Wynton again. But you know what? It wasn't a big deal either way. I delighted in meeting Carlos, as I think his talent as a bass player is mesmerizing. He has been performing with the group since I first saw them in 2008 (when he was only 29!), and I can't wait to see the things he will continue to do with his life. Everyone in the orchestra is truly amazing.

I've had my turn. And I had my turn meeting Wynton when I really really really needed something special to happen in my life, when I needed to be reminded of the goodness and joys in the world. Lisa found a way to make my world brighter when I needed it most.

As I said in the first series of Wynton posts, I thought again last night about the word Dayeinu.  

Had I been able to sit up in real seats, it would have been enough.
Had I been able to sit up without pain or other ANS symptoms, it would have been enough.
Had I been able to wear my new dress, it would have been enough.
Had I been able to meet Carlos, it would have been enough.

The concert was more than enough. Meeting Carlos was icing on the cake. I did write a card to Wynton (with a photo of the two of us from my last visit) and gave it to Carlos, so hopefully Wynton got it!

The only sad part about last night was that I never got to HUG Miss Lisa! I only saw her from a distance and blew kisses to her. :( 

 Autographed Live in Cuba CD 

My autographed CDs are precious reminders of each step of this journey through illness.

I'm joyous and bouncing like a chicken over my newest concert experience and seeing Wynton and his orchestra again!

Be a dancing light,

Emily








1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

That is amazing! I'm so glad you were able to go! What a difference in your health from seven years ago at your first Wynton concert. It amazes me that you could sit for over two hours without pain, sweating, a pounding heart, and the urge to lie down. I am so happy for you!!!

I know your life still isn't easy, and you have a lot of work to do each day just to take care of your body. But I'm so happy that things aren't as hard as they used to be. Yay for 40!