FAQs

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Recipe Fridays: Kosher for Passover Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cooke Bars


As most of you know, my mom is a wonderful cook. We love eating local, fresh meats, produce, eggs and cheeses. We're part of a CSA and regulars at the farmer's markets. We limit any processed foods.

I have been gluten and dairy-free for almost 15 years. Just recently, I've been able to add in hard cheeses, butter and kefir. Since the end of last summer, I've also been on a very strict diet called the Low FODMAPS Diet for my gastroparesis. 

It's working. And I couldn't do it without the dedication and creativity of Mom, who's been a tremendous trooper when it comes to constantly adapting to my dietary needs. 

Most all of our meals are made by Mom with tremendous love in our kitchen. We've spent years searching for healthy, tasty recipes, especially gluten-free treats. Most guest leave our home asking for recipes. 

In light of these many requests for recipes and our long search to find truly wonderful things to eat in spite of dietary restrictions, I've decided to share recipes as I am able. One of Mom's greatest gifts to me is the food she provides for me every day. I hope some day I'll feel well enough to learn to cook, too.

The first recipe I'm sharing is a newly discovered one. Mom found it in Hadassah magazine--and it turned out so well it's already a keeper. Marge and Marjie already asked for the recipe, Jeannine couldn't stop saying how yummy these tasted, and I'm already planning to make these again for book club. 

Mom and I have always enjoyed baking together, and were able to make these together for Passover. 

If you've eaten something here you've loved, please let me know and I'll start by sharing those recipes!

Blessings...and Enjoy!

Emily



Chocolate Chip Cookie BarsMakes 24 square bars.
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil, plus extra
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups ground almonds
1/4 cup potato starch
1 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. 

2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan; line bottom and sides of pan with parchment paper, then grease the parchment all over. Set aside.

3. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla sugar on medium speed until combined. Add the ground almonds and potato starch and beat until all the ingredients are combined. Add the chocolate chips and beat until just incorporated. 

4. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. 

5. Bake until edges are browned or a toothpick inserted into center emerges clean or with a few dry crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, lift out parchment and cut into squares or bars. Store at room temperature for five days, or in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. 


Note: The batter will be very, very, very thick and difficult to spread. We ground the nuts in a food processor--meaning that they are not going to have a fine consistency like almond flour. The batter comes out very differently than anything we've ever made, but don't fret, it tastes wonderful! 

Also, in place of chocolate chips we used high quality dark chocolate bars which we placed in a Ziploc bag and used a mallet to crush them. This is the fun part!

No comments: