FAQs

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Vereen Gardens





Me and Mom



While on our rainy day shopping trip to a cute little shop in Calabash where Mom and I each treated ourselves to a piece of jewelry, the store owner, Wendy, recommended we visit Vareen Gardens located about 15 minutes from where we are staying.



Salt Water Marsh


The gardens, located on the intracoastal waterway, are a wonderful way to see the salt water marshes. 




Marsh at Low Tide


Unfortunately, the boardwalks were not as handicapped accessible as we had hoped. Each boardwalk was separated by a pathway full of tree roots popping through the ground.




Marsh at Low Tide


Without me being able to get in and out of my chair easily and walk short distances, we would have been even more limited in our outings during our stay here. It's amazing what can be considered 'accessible'! And frustrating.




Funky Tree


Still, we enjoyed StRolling around a little bit and then spending a long time just sitting and watching the scenery.



Lots of Boast Out This Day


While here at the beach, I've noticed that people seem to be less phased by the wheelchair. 




Looking Out on Intracoastal Waterway



I've wondered if this is because most of the people we meet on our outings are in the 'senior citizen' category. Are they more comfortable with disability? Has life experience made them more at ease with disability? I realize this is a broad generalization, but it's been nice to just be greeted and talked to without any signs of discomfort around the wheelchair. 




View of Intracoastal Waterway


Because of it's limited accessibility I don't know if we will return to Vareen Gardnes next year, but we did enjoy the sounds of the mollusks clicking and the sight of teeny little fiddler crabs scurrying around at low tide.




Sunlit Tree


I also love this one particular tree.




Funky Tree



I swapped cameras with another group of visitors so that we could get a picture of Mom and I together and they could have one of their group together. :)



Me and Mom


Blessings,

Emily

2 comments:

Rachel Lundy said...

Woah! That is a cool tree! It would be fun to play on and around.

I know what you mean about places not being as handicap accessible as they claim. I'm glad you were able to walk short distances so that you could still enjoy Vareen Gardens.

Alia Gee said...

My sister had to spend my wedding in a wheelchair (back issues, made worse by 9 hour plane journey), and pushing her around the cobblestones of Cambridge - and having people completely fail to make eye contact with her - made me rethink my own instinct to avoid eye contact. I think it's from the "Don't stare" mindset, but it gets taken to this "Don't see" extreme.

Maybe senior citizens are more comfortable being rude. ;)

So glad you got to see cool trees.