FAQs

Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Beethoven Thanksgiving

Lisa, Me, Mom

Tonight, Mom, Barbara and I went to see the St. Lawrence String Quartet perform three of Beethoven's string quartets. It's part of a local two year long series bringing in groups to perform all of his string quartets. This is the first of this series I have been well enough to attend, and our first concert outing this year. 

Oh! I cannot think of a better way to have celebrated the end of year 37! These musicians perform with such joy and passion--the two violinists practically do jigs and dances in their chairs. I also feel such a sense of amazement at the composition of music as well as the performance of it.

For this event, the handicapped seating was right in front, so we could see all of the facial expressions and ways the musicians communicated with one another. I still need to take the Rolls and my reclining chair, as sitting upright with my legs down for a 3 hour outing isn't possible. 


The Program

Growing up, my parents always turned on NPR to listen to classical music and I gave the obligatory eye roll. They also took me to a lot of theatre and music performances and enrolled me in lots of dance, music and theatre all of which I loved. Now, classical music is one of my favorite things. The St. Lawrence String Quartet is often played on NPR, so seeing them in person really was phenomenal. As many of you know, at my sickest, I often could do nothing more than lie in bed and listen to NPR. I couldn't wait for Performance Today to come on at 8 PM.

The final piece, String Quartet in A Minor, Op. 132, was written as Beethoven began recovering from serious and debilitating illness. The central movement is called Sacred Song of Thanksgiving to the Deity from a Convalescent. According the the program, this movement alternates between Adagio and Andante, which Beethoven marked in his score as "Feeling new strength" and "You returned my strength to find me in the evening."

A fitting piece, I think. I truly felt as if I was hearing a prayer of thanksgiving.


Quartet Members


I still remember the trepidation and fear I felt the first time I thought about going to a concert five years ago.  Now, I can't wait to go, see Lisa and enjoy an outing. I would go a lot more often if I felt up to it! :) Every time I see Lisa, I am reminded of how kindness, warmth, and compassion shown in the face of fear and sadness can so deeply change one's life. Without Lisa as the audience services manager, I know that I would not have enjoyed the arts again in the way that I do. 

Seeing Lisa, being with Mom and Barbara, listening to music that has brought me such joy and comfort through my illness, being able to go out, and hearing that particular Beethoven work of thanksgiving helped me to end my year with a heart full of gratitude for the blessing of my life. 

Blessings,

Emily


No comments: