FAQs

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Friends Who've Just Met


There's not 
a word yet
for friends
who've just met.

--Gonzo, the Muppets--



Our Delicate Little Flower (As She is Called at the Vet's)  Seems to Have Forgotten that Jennifer is the One Who Tortures Her with Spaying, IV Fluids, Shots, etc. :)


Almost two years ago, we took Asher to the vet, where we saw Dr. Jennifer. Mom usually took Asher to the vet because I never felt well enough to go. Jennifer and I knew we lived in the same neighborhood and had run into each other a couple of times, but we hadn't really interacted much. I was there in my Rolls, which still makes me self-conscious sometimes. 

For the most part, since I've been sick, my friends have remained those from afar--those I have held to tightly since grade school, high school, college and through support networks. But I had never really been able to meet people locally. I've been making a huge effort lately to try to meet friends locally. Not because my beloved support network from afar isn't amazing, but because we all know that nothing beats face to face interaction and conversation.

Jennifer, who is very shy said to me: "Would you like to have lunch together sometime?"

That moment of bravery on her part has led to a beautiful friendship. She shared the Gonzo quote with me shortly after we met. Whenever Jennifer gets one of her days off, we make every effort to have a lunch date.

I remember coming home from the vet and saying: "Mom, she wants to be my friend. She doesn't care that I am sick or in a wheelchair."  I'm not sure why it is so hard for me to believe that people will see me as more than my illness, except that perhaps *I* have failed to see myself as more than my illness, despite my efforts otherwise.

All I know is the moment I went to the vet in my Rolls and Jennifer braved asking me to have lunch made both of our lives richer. 


Jennifer, Me, Tovah Rose, Gershwin, and my Strawberry Blonde dress.


Blessings,

Emily

No comments: