FAQs

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Five Cousins

Todd, Rob, Ryan, and Doug

On Friday afternoon, four of my cousins (and serious Iowa fans) visited Dad and Abbie's house for lunch, good stories, and lots of laughs. The four guys met up to attend an Iowa-Penn State football game and were able to make a stop at Dad and Abbie's as part of their weekend away. Can you tell  which ones are siblings? 


Five Cousins
Back Row: Rob, Ryan
Front Row: Todd, Emily, Doug
I really love this photo of me surrounded by four of my handsome cousins! Looks like I needed to be wearing some Iowa gear!

Todd and Rob stuffing their faces!

I am one of 42 grandchildren on my dad's side of the family, ranging in age from 27-51. The last time I saw any of my cousins was in May of 1998 when traveled to Iowa to attend Rob's wedding. It was incredible to see some of my cousins for the first time in 13 1/2 years. Fortunately, I have not gone all this time without seeing any Iowa family, as some of my aunts and uncles have been here for visits. 

Doug: Master Planner and Mega Iowa Fan


Doug was the one responsible for planning the big trip East and organizing a get together at Dad and Abbie's. 




Ryan: Telling a Good Story

As you can probably tell by the photos, Ryan and Todd are brothers and Rob and Doug are brothers. The five of us range in age from 27-37. I think the last time I saw everyone, Todd still thought girls had cooties! 


Muscles


After not having seen any of my cousins for so long, I had no idea what it would be like to be together again. It was absolutely wonderful. I got big bear hugs from each of the guys. Most of the cousins my age are guys, so I had spent a lot of time with them on trips to Iowa growing up.


We all used to gather at Grandma's house in the evenings. When family was in town, her house would be teeming with her children and grandchildren. I remember listening to the hearty laughs and storytelling. With Rob, Doug, Ryan and Todd, I saw how the next generation has carried on this tradition of sharing stories and laughter.  


I deeply miss Iowa and my family there.


Dad with his nephews and daughter. :)


Doug, Rob, Todd and Ryan: Thank you for the laughter, the stories and the fantastic Iowa hugs, dear cousins! Thank you for bringing the warmth and love of Iowa all the way to Pennsylvania. I'm sorry you traveled all this way only to have to watch Iowa lose the game! :)

Y'all come back now, ya hear? 

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

stephanie said...

the muscles photo made me laugh so hard emily! You must have had a blast seeing some of the iowa clan! Bet it was a great visit!