FAQs

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Lyme Log: Hurray! I Passed the First Test for Penicillin!

Hello All!



Thank you so much for your good thoughts and prayers. I think they worked, even if the blog got sent out through Feedburner after the appointment! :)



So, we headed out of town on Monday with the handy GPS system to 'help us out'.



I was negative for penicillin allergy on the skin testing.


I am now doing the 5 day 'oral challenge', which involves taking itsy-bitsy amounts of penicillin over a 5 day period. Yesterday, I took 'a few grains' of penicillin three times a day. To do this Mom was in the kitchen crushing the pill with a rolling pin! Thank you Scott for the last of your wonderful applesauce we had in the freezer to use for just this purpose--taking grains of penicillin!



Today, I'll take 'a pinch' three times a day, then 1/3 of a pill, then 1/2 of a pill, and then finally a whole pill by Day 5.



I'm just watching for a rash and if all is clear after five days, I will get my first bicillin shot next week.



Finally, it seems our plans to try this antibiotic are on the right track, after a few monkey wrenches have been thrown in along the way!



By the way, that GPS system? Oh good grief. Not excactly a smashing success. I got so many laughs, though, when three women friends told me how much their husbands just love their GPS systems.

I still think I'm in favor of a plain old map. That and following the BIG BLUE signs that say 'H' for Hospital! We're looking right at the signs that say 'H' with an arrow pointing straight ahead and the GPS system is saying 'Turn Left on Poplar Street' or some such thing. When we didn't turn left where it told us to go it kept saying, "Recalculating" and then sending us on some other ridiculous route.

Oh well. I'll let Dad try to calibrate his GPS system for the next trip. I'm just very pleased that it looks like, medically, we're finally getting things moving.

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

Corina said...

hurrayyyyyy for you emily!!! i am so glad about the penicillin!!! i have an amazing pill crusher, and as i have two of them i will send you one to help you and your mom prepare the pills for you! and the gps!!! it keeps making me laugh. we have so much fun with it, but i have to be true: it IS a big help as well!!! : ) : )
love corina :)