FAQs

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lyme Log: Good News So Far...

Go Bicillin, Go! Kill the Lyme!


I love this cheer by my friend Marcy. I can just picture her with a set of pom poms! I'll remember to recite this in my head when I'm herxing.

I just wanted to 'report in' after my first shot.

I meant to report in immediately, as so many of you sent good thoughts and prayers and also were slightly on edge as to how I was doing, but I actually had a frantically busy and exciting week with no chance to blog. (Okay, 'busy' is a relative term in my world.)

I will say that all of your good thoughts must have worked. Thank you thank you thank you! I loved the emails that came WHILE I was at the doctor telling me you knew how many minutes it had been since my shot and you were sending good thoughts.

The first shot came and went without incident.

The nurses or my PCP checked in on me every 15 minutes to make sure I was still breathing, set me up with a call button, and placed me in an exam room right next to the nurses station. They were extremely vigilant!

I wore my Davidson Sweet Sixteen T-shirt for good luck, and was even placed in Room 8 (my favorite number).

I hope these are all good signs that this is the right path!

Other than a sore toosh afterwards, which was easily remedied with an ice pack while watching Oprah's Big Give, I haven't had any problems. Thankfully that Epi-pen remains unused!

I'm heading for my second shot today (Friday).

At this point I am not herxing. In fact I have had a few of the best days I have had in a long time and have just been soaking it all in. There are many, many possible reasons why I could feel so well right now and only time will tell and help us sort out the variables.

I am off of the minocycline, which perhaps my body is happy about. Perhaps the dose of bicillin was so small that my body is reacting as if I am not on antibiotics at all and is happy to have a break from the Lyme die-off. Perhaps the bicillin simply hasn't made it into my system enough yet. Perhaps the minocycline itself was making me sick rather than just the Lyme die-off.

I plan to stick with 1/4 of a dose for now until we see how it builds up in my body (since the medication stays in the body for a month).

During this week of some reprieve from my usual level of crappiness, I have been able to go see Hillary Clinton speak (a blog soon to follow with pictures I hope)--which was absolutely AMAZING. We've been immersed in the PA primaries with a volunteer staying here, Mom working like crazy as a volunteer at headquarters, and staying up late to watch the returns Tuesday night. We've had fun and joy and excitement in our home in a way we haven't had in a very long time.

Now, the adrenaline is starting to fade and we're all pooped!

Today, I go for a shot and only have to stay for 20 minutes under supervision.

Sorry to be so slow in getting this update out to all of you. Although, you have been a bit bombarded by blogs lately so the decrease in "blog pressure" on my end may be a good thing!

To all of you who have been emailing, calling, praying, and sending good thoughts...you lifted me up so much and got me through. Thank you. As I fight his battle against the Lyme (and say Marcy's little cheer) I must remember the words in the card my friend, Marla, sent me before my first shot: "Whatever happens hold on to these thoughts...You are stronger than you imagine, braver than you know...and cared about more than words could ever tell."

In fact, these are wise words for all of us.

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Hopefully this is a good omen and you've found the treatment that will work for you!