FAQs

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Marvelous Marla Visits



All Prettied Up for Sushi Lunch OUT!


My dear sweet friend Marla flew here for a visit from Friday to Sunday this past weekend. We both felt such gratitude and joy over the amount of energy I had for us to be together. As always, Mom spoiled us with good food and a listening ear for Marla while I was sleeping.

Since graduation 16 years ago, Marla has visited three times--and each of the previous times I was very sick. Two years ago we agreed that we would dress in PJs and no make-up. Marla admits now that each time she left after a visit she felt very worried about it. It's hard to know how being sick has affected my friends--and I'm so grateful to those who have not let fear and sadness keep them from journeying with me.



Not a Dog Person? We Will MAKE You Love Us!


Well, what a difference two years can make. Marla and I were able to spend all of Friday afternoon and evening together.

After I woke up on Saturday we both did our hair and make-up and went out for a sushi lunch. Next stop? Making sure Marla ate some locally made ice cream. And next? A StRoll! And next? We started a movie!

That evening we finished the movie About Time (which we both highly recommend as a excellent rom-com) and chatted some more.

By Sunday, I was struggling quite a bit, but we were still able to have lunch together, go to Dad and Abbie's for her to meet them, and then I rode along with Mom to drop Marla off at the airport. It was really exciting to actually be able to go along to the airport to say goodbye and hug her one last time.



So Happy to Celebrate Victories Together and Be Together


Marla is a friend who rejoices in every small and big victory in my life. She is also a friend who grieves the losses deeply. She feels anger about my illness. Those are true gifts of a real and true friend. 

We cherish our girl time together just the two of us. Really, no topic is off-limits for the two of us! Oh right, except politics! :)

Thank you for making such an effort to travel here, making time in your crazy busy schedule, and being such a loyal, faithful and loving friend, Marla. I love you.

Blessings,

Emily

No comments: