FAQs

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Celebrating Sukkot


Julia, Me, Lauren, Nicole and Stephanie
As my health improves, I enjoy engaging in more of things that fill up my soul--one of which is incorporating more Jewish life into the fold.


Steph's Family Sukkot


Tonight, Steph hosted supper in the Sukkot. She also hosted the event last year, and it has quickly become one of my favorites. Tonight, we enjoyed unseasonably warm weather--I was wearing a summer dress!


Roof of the Sukkot


For this holiday it is traditional to erect a temporary dwelling/structure in memory of the 40 years spent wandering in the desert. Sukkot literally means 'booths'. The holiday commemorates the 40 years the children of Israel spent wandering in the desert, but it is also an agricultural holiday marking harvest time. 


Local Leigh Belle and Havarti Cheeses, Dates Stuffed with Chèvre 


Our harvest-themed meal consisted of foods focused on the fall harvest and stuffed food items. We had sweet potato soup, local raw milk cheeses from happy cows, stuffed dates with local goat chèvre, veggies, stuffed grape leaves, sushi (counts as a stuffed item!), hummus, roasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin cake and wine.


Me, Lauren and Nicole



Annual events are stark reminders of the changes in my life. Just last year, I remember going late to the Sukkot dinner because I needed a longer and later nap, I remember that Mom needed to drive me and I needed someone to bring me home, I remember that Mom had to get all of the food I planned to bring ready on my behalf.


Lights in the Sukkot as Darkness Falls


This year, I went to the farmers market with Mom to pick out the cheeses I wanted to bring. This afternoon, I stuffed the dates, cut the cheese, and got everything organized to go. I still squeezed in a walk with Kiernan and a shower. Other than a short nap, I was good to go to the celebration.

It's remarkable to me how much life can change in a year, and I enjoy relishing each new thing I can do--even if it is as simple as preparing a plate of cheeses and stuffed dates. 

Because every new thing, every little new thing I learn to do or do independently is a victory.

Supper in the Sukkot was a wonderful evening with some great Jewish girls!

Blessings,

Emily


1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

What a wonderful celebration! I'm so glad you were able to go and that you could participate more fully this year!