FAQs

Saturday, May 09, 2015

"You Can Never Have Too Much Mothering"


Mom, Me, Abbie

"You Can Never Have Too Much Mothering"

I wish I could remember who said this to me many, many years ago. 

I've thought of it so often over the years.


At the Arboretum


This Mother's Day I'm thinking about the blessing of all of the mothering I've received throughout my life. 


A Night Out With Dad, Abbie and Mom in February--To See "Sister Act"


I have a stepmom who loves me and whom I love. She has seen me through all the years of my illness and oh, the joy she takes in my new life! It brings me to tears.


I had grandmothers who mothered me. I have aunts who are like second mothers to me. I have a tribe of women of all ages who mother me. I attend the Hadassah Hanukkah party each and I'm the youngest person by at least 20 years--and everyone mothers me. 


Yes, Even Goofy Lisa Mothers Me :)



All of these women who mother me teach me what it means to mother, the many ways we can mother, that being a 'mother' can take many forms, and that it really does take a village to mother human beings (and our fur kids).


My Beloved Aunt Jeanette


I cannot post a picture or make a list of all of the women who have been part of the tribe of mothers in my life. But you likely know who you are. You listened to me, you helped me learn how to sew or another skill, you cooked food for me, you cared for me, you lifted me up when I needed it most, you gave your love without expectation of anything in return. 


With My Mom


I wonder if we ever outgrow our need to be mothered? I know, at 40, I still need and want mothering. 

And I am fortunate enough to find myself FULL to the brim.

Thank you, first and foremost, to my mom for her selfless love. Thank you to Abbie for accepting me as her stepdaughter. Thank you to my Aunt Jeanette for being a second mom to me since I was a baby girl. Thank you to EVERYONE who has mothered me in any capacity. 

Whether we are the mother of a child is not the only definition of motherhood. We can mother in so many capacities. 

So, this Mother's Day, I thank all of the women who have helped to 'raise me up right' these past 40 years. I hope I'll find ways to pay it forward in the form of my own mothering as the years go on. And for now, I'll go on mothering these fur kids of mine. :)

Blessings,

Emily



No comments: