FAQs

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Missing the Sunshine!



Today I popped my first prescription strength Vitamin D capsule. A whopping 50,000 units of SUNSHINE in each little green gel cap! I'll take one a week for the next three months.

In the past I've been on the low end of the Vitamin D spectrum and took an over the counter supplement, but last week my test showed me to be deficient in it. Too bad I can't just get to Arizona to spend some time in the sunshine and hang out with Uncle Crazy.

Last time I was in to see my PCP we spent a lot of time discussing the possibility of getting a sun lamp or other such tool to help me wake up in the mornings, and possibly help with mood. She re-tested my Vitamin D levels.





It's very difficult to sort out what's what right now in terms of my energy-level and mood. It's also hard to make sure we stay on top of all the other things that might be going on in addition to the Lyme and ANS issues. So, I'm very thankful for her problem-solving!

I'm actually hopeful that some prescription sunshine might help out a little in the mood and fatigue department. I have definitely noticed that, as much as I love the snow, I do miss getting the sunshine I was getting on my outings in The Rolls.

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: I didn't post these pics because they are really anything that spectacular but because that is one HUGE icicle we have on our house!

3 comments:

M.S. said...

Next January, I'm so popping some Vitamin D. It might help me more than you know!

Emily said...

Oh, Emily. You have so much going on, of course it is hard to sort it all out. I hope the Vitamin D gives you a boost! Thinking about you!

ITooWasAbused said...

FYI I also had extremely low Vitamin D and was prescribed the big green pills by my Geisinger doc. But I did research on PubMed and found that the pills are Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) whereas it's D3 (cholecalciferol) that is much better used by the body. I don't know why you can't get D3 in prescription form, but I bought lots of D3 pills at Wegmans and take those. My vitamin D levels had returned to well within normal ranges at my follow up.

Just a heads up that you might want to do some research on it yourself.