FAQs

Friday, December 12, 2008

A Grateful Heart


"Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart."
--Seneca--

I write this post with the most grateful of hearts--for you, for your friendship, for your love, and for your support. How can I ever demonstrate my appreciation?

For me, one of the most difficult aspects of my illness is my inability to often reciprocate the kindnesses I receive. I also struggle just to keep up with any sort of regular correspondence. I look at my email inbox or our piano covered in cards (birthday cards have now given way for your wonderful holiday cards) and I feel sick with guilt, sick with regret, and sick with grief over not being able to give in return what you all give me. Ten years into my illness I'm still not able to let go of the 'old Emily'--the one who sent perfectly wrapped packages, never missed sending a snail mail card for birthdays, loved writing letters and making cards, never missed writing a thank you note, and in general, could always keep up with correspondence. 

I want to write back to all of you. I want to write long, heartfelt emails responding to all of your life goings-on as well as your messages to me. 

The truth is I cannot physically keep up. And I'll never catch up. I tried declaring email bankruptcy last year. At that time my inbox was a disorganized 400 messages. Now it's over 1200, so I was not one bit successful in my attempt to 'let go'. I just keep putting  little yellow stars by messages and thinking, hoping, and believing I'd have time and energy to come back to them. 

So, what I want to do in this post is to tell you how very much YOU are appreciated. I appreciate that you stop by and take the time to read my blog. I appreciate that you take the time to comment or reply. I appreciate that you continue to send me snail mail for birthdays, holidays, and 'just because.' I appreciate that you call and leave me voicemail messages. I appreciate your pictures. I appreciate the updates on your life.

With an incredibly grateful heart, I thank you for your continued prayers, kindness, letters, emails, and support. I have written some very difficult blogs on 'tough stuff' and the response and support has been overwhelming and humbling. Since my blog is the only way I can truly keep up with people, it means so much that you take the time out of your full and busy lives to read it and to respond. 

I love blogging. This is the first place I come for respite, renewal, and fulfillment. I have found it especially meaningful when you share your own journey with me in return. Lately, you have done that with my posts about wanting to be a mother and about wondering where God is. Hearing your own personal stories means so much to me. (You should see me with the tears streaming down my face when I read your responses! :))

I may not be able to respond to your email, card or call, but it never, ever, ever goes unappreciated. 

I'm struggling a lot lately and doing my best to simply hold on. I want to tell each of you in an individual email (or even better a handwritten note) how much you mean to me and how much your caring means. 

A blog seems inadequate, but it is the best I can do. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support. Thank you for doing what a spiritual counselor once described to me as 'singing my song for me when I cannot sing it myself'. 

With gratitude,

Emily

Photo:  Pink dahlia by our mailbox this summer.

4 comments:

Corina said...

dear emily, you hit me bang straight into my heart with your last phrase. because of the dysautonomia i litterally cannot sing anymore (and how i loved to!. i need others to sing for me in more ways than i would like to. and i feel as grateful as you do. i think we are fighting the same battle as we both have to deal with our old and new personalities. i've learned that has to do with acceptance. i think i'm slightly ahead of you, thanks to the chance i got with my rehab program. you will come this far too, i am sure, and in the end we will both come to the point where we will accept and enjoy our new personalities/lifes (which will be surprisingly filled with our old ones). thank you for singing my song for me, i hope i have been singing loud enough for you too.
with love,
corina

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
You're a beautiful person and
I feel very fortunate to have you in my life.
Katherine

Anonymous said...

Oh, Emily, that was a beautiful post. I am so thankful for you and your friendship. I wish I could keep up better too! I know we'd have so much to talk about!
I'm behind in blog commenting, but I've been working on an email in response to your last blog post. I'm behind, but it's coming! :)
Love,
Rachel

Melanie said...

Em... How lovely to read... and then come to comment and see my old friend Corina, and Rachel.... sigh...

Yes... we are all dealing with new ways to live - new aspects to who we are. And every time it changes I am challenged!!!

But I wanted to say that I always feel loved by you - no matter how long it has been since either of has been able to reach out! Some bonds just can not be broken by distance or illness!

And I wonder... does Corina still wear her pink bracelet sometimes. Do you? I do and I can not wear it without feeling close to you both and thinking of you both with love.

I guess your post really hit home for some of us and we all echo your thanks and love to others and to you for "dancing with us when we are up, and crying with us when we are down".

(hugs)
Melanie