FAQs

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Happy Birthday Dad (and Congrats!)!



Dad With His Biggest Supporters


As the longest serving professor in his department, my dad has won many awards for his research and teaching over the years. I still remember attending a fancy ceremony at the house of the university president when I was a very young girl. But after that, I missed out on my dad's other big awards because I was too sick to go. I missed the biggest of his awards several years ago, and it broke my heart.


Last year, Dad won a big award for his research--Distinguished Research Professor--and I finally got to go to the reception and ceremony to support him. It made my heart so happy to feel well enough to be there to support him and the incredible ways he has contributed to his field. 




My Favorite Professor

We all had a good laugh when the dean made sure to mention that no other professor in the college had served as many years as my dad has--he is now in his 41st year and still going strong!

It's incredible to watch Dad wake up every single day still loving his chosen field of study. It leaves me in awe. To discover your passion and remain so engaged year after year? Wow! 

Classes started this week, and Dad is back at it teaching two seminars.



At the Award Reception

In addition, Dad celebrated the big 74 this week. 

Dad says he can't believe he's 74. He says he feels just as peppy as ever. And just as immature. :)

It's a formula that seems to be working for him.




Who Needs An Olympic Medal?


For both Father's Day and his birthday we got to go out to dinner together, which is so special, because those are the kinds of things we were never able to do together. It's great father-daughter bonding time. 



Chatting It Up With Colleagues

In addition to being the family scholar, Dad is also, well, my dad. He loves me more than anything in the world. 

Because of Dad's generosity and hard work, I have been able to receive all of the medical care that I need and want. Without his help, I would never be on the path to healing. I don't talk a lot about how we pay for all of my needs on my blog, but without my dad and his caring heart, I would not be where I am today. Every day my needs are met because of my parents. This is a gift of monumental proportions. One for which I do not know how to ever, ever, ever thank my parents enough. 

Their willingness to sacrifice for me in the ways they do is humbling.


Happy Birthday Dad!


Dad's biggest gift to me, though, is not only the love he shows me through his support of my medical needs, but through his constant belief in me. Dad always believed that I would get better. He never gave up. He just kept believing it. He loved me through it all. We as a family have been through so much, and I am so blessed to have my Dad on my side through it all. He's steadfast and loyal. He's smart and philosophical. He's funny and goofy. He works hard at being a good dad.

Thank you for all that you do for your daughter. 

I love you, Dad and I wish you a healthy and happy year! 

Happy Birthday!

Love,

Champ



No comments: