FAQs

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

My Favorite Iowans: Jay and Jeanette



Aunt Jeanette and Cousin Jay

We had an incredibly special, amazing, beautiful, joyful, laughter-filled, fantabulous visit from two of our very favorite people in the whole world--my cousin Jay and my Aunt Jeanette. 


Farmer Darrell with J and J


Dad, ever the farmer, gave J and J a friendly "Iowa style" welcome. Any excuse to get out his John Deere tractor and Dad is ready. :)


Cousin Love


I was last in Iowa 16 years ago for the wedding of another one of our cousins. Let's just say, 16 years is way too long to go without seeing my favorite cousin. I just wanted to hug Jay a thousand times.

The best part? We picked up as if we had never been apart. It was a truly special weekend, and we hope very much that next time Jay's wife, Kim, and their two children, Cora and Sawyer, can join us.


Jeanette, Me, Jay


Many of my Iowa memories are of sitting at Jeanette's kitchen table talking and talking to her, hanging out with Jay on the farm tractors, in the pig barns, and tagging along with him to ballgames or wherever he was going. 

As we sat around the patio table Sunday afternoon--just Jeanette, Jay and me--it felt as if we were back in Iowa again, a familiarity so ingrained in our beings.


Skyping with Kim, Cora and Sawyer


Uncle Howdy wasn't able to join us this past weekend because he is busy with farm work. Jay, who lives in Seattle, had a conference to attend, so worked in a way to stop here first. Jeanette decided to join him, which made the visit, well, doubly special. 


Jay and I did get to Skype for a few minutes with Kim, Cora, and Sawyer. 


A Very Happy Reunion


Even before my parents married, they always stayed with Uncle Howdy and Aunt Jeanette. After Jay and I joined their lives, we continued to stay with Howdy and Jeanette during most visits to Iowa. Jeanette became like a second mother to me, and Jay was likely the closest thing I ever had to a brother. At the end of a messy day on the farm, Jeanette even threw us into the bathtub together! Oh how I wish I had one of those photos to scan here!


Abbie, Me, Jeanette, Mom


Mom cooked dinner for all of us on Saturday evening--pork, asparagus, salad, rice pilaf, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies--and we enjoyed a big gathering with Dad, Abbie, Jay, Jeanette, Mom and me. 


Iowa Family


I love that my parents and Abbie can all be together comfortably--I give Abbie and Mom so much credit for being so kind and wonderful to each other. 


Sharing a Meal


Mom was running a little behind with a couple of things before dinner started, and Abbie stepped in to set the table and help out. When I saw the two of them in the kitchen together, I smiled--and I felt very fortunate.


Fresh Market Flowers


Even a year ago, being in large groups and laughing a lot made me feel very symptomatic because of the sensory overload. Being able to fully enjoy dinner together in a large group and laugh without my heart pounding forcefully in frustration made the occasion even more joyful.

When I am less overwhelmed by my physical symptoms, I am able to be more fully present in the beautiful moments happening around me and to me.


Beautiful Local Food


On Sunday afternoon, Jay and Jeanette drove over from Dad and Abbie's (where they stayed), and we visited outside. That evening, Jay and Jeanette came back over for dinner with Mom and me. 

We really enjoyed having the various visits with different people at each one. 


Chef Mom


Along with the joy of having Jay and Jeanette here, I felt such joy in being able to fully enjoy such a busy weekend. 

Did a Mack truck hit me on Monday? Yes. But it wasn't the kind of Mack truck that used to knock me down for days on end. And the number of hours I sat up, conversed, laughed, and enjoyed has, until now, been unmatched. 

I couldn't have asked for more.

Exactly a year ago, on the same weekend, Mom and I had just traveled to Washington, D.C. to meet Corina. I remember enjoying the trip, but also struggling a great deal, needing a lot of extra medications to get through the pain and agitation of my ANS. Still, the first weekend of June is now becoming a favorite! :)



2012 Visit with Howdy and Jeanette


Aunt Jeanette and Uncle Howdy visited two years ago at the end of July, just after we had gotten Tovah Rose. Things got so busy with being a new mommy to a puppy that I didn't get to blog about their visit.



Jeanette and Howdy


But it was such a wonderful happy visit that I thought I'd post the pics from that visit as well.


Me and Mom

Jeanette, Me, Mom


Aunt Jeanette has been here in 2005, 2012 and now 2014. She's seen me at my very worst in this illness and my very best. It's hard to look back at that very first blog post in 2005 and remember how very sick I was.


Hugs for Howdy!


I couldn't stop hugging my Uncle Howdy when he was here! 



Jeanette with baby Tovah Rose

An Afternoon with Just the Two of Us

I hope Jay and I never go sixteen years without seeing one another again, and that Aunt Jeanette, Uncle Howdy and I are able to keep our visits more regular, just as they were when I was growing up, spending summer days sitting at Aunt Jeanette's kitchen table eating macaroni and cheese or homemade sweet rolls (oh, how I miss those!).

I miss you all already!

Love and Blessings,



Emily

No comments: