FAQs

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Visitors

Sean reading one of my childhood books to Miles and Piper.


The holidays always mean that lots of people have time for visits--either because they have a little time off from work or because they are home visiting family in town here. I've basically been using all of my energy for visits, and the inevitable crash plus recovery that comes with the territory.  I will be resting up now for the next round of visitors over the Christmas and New Year's holiday!


My first visitors were a Sean and his cutie-patooties, Miles and Piper. Even though I haven't seen Sean and the kids for over a year, the kids warmed right up to me, which totally lifted my spirits. Piper sold some local foods to benefit her school, so she came to deliver my order. :) 


Me and Neeraj


One of the most formative experiences of my life was the time I spent at our local Friends School. I even wrote one of my college essays for Davidson on this wonderful school. Since I attended Friends School for 2nd and 3rd grade only, I don't know where most of my classmates are, and many of us went our separate ways once we got to the larger public schools. Neeraj and I found each other on Facebook (of course) and he persisted in working out a time to get together. I am so glad he did because it was amazing to see each other! All of these years later, we feel so grateful for our time at Friends School and so bonded by the unique experience we had there. It was fun to meet each other as 'grown ups'. :)


Me and Kristina
My next visitor, Kristina, is also someone I reconnected with through Facebook 17 years after our last time seeing each other. During our high school marching band days, Kristina was in my rank. Go alto saxophones! :) We've been able to get together three times this year--once for our first meeting, once on an outing with her son to see Winnie-the-Pooh, and this last time to knit (her) and sew (me) together. She's incredibly accommodating to my schedule and needs, and unphased by my need to take a reclining chair to the movies.


Most of my close friends who know about my illness live far away--some I've never met because we are chronically ill and met online while others have known me throughout high school or college and have known about my illness for the last 13 years. It's always a little difficult to take the chance on getting together with people who haven't seen me for so many years. I wonder how they will react to my illness or how it makes them feel. I feel that I am gradually starting to allow local people into my new life.


Blessings,


Emily

No comments: