FAQs

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Saturday At The Park


Fall is always beautiful here in Pennsylvania.

Yesterday I asked Mom if we could go for a drive to see some of the Fall colors on my day off from getting a shot. I wasn't sure how I would feel today, but hoped that we could go for at least a short drive.

We managed to go on a peaceful, beautiful and restful outing to a former furnace that is now a state park. After a week of cold, dreary, rainy and gray days we had sunshine and warmth today.

The photos above and below were taken at The Lookout on the way to the park. The view of the valley was exquisite today.




I ate lunch in the car on the way to park so that I would have a little more time for an outing. We took Asher and The Rolls and I was able to sit up long enough for a little ride around the park. I didn't feel very well, but it still felt worth the effort to get out of the house, be in nature, and see the Fall colors.

The park was virtually empty today and it was lovely to be up in the mounains.





The swimming/beach area at the park which is packed during the summer months.

Mom and I have really worked out a system that makes these outings possible. We keep things very low-key, quiet and stress-free. We both just enjoy being in each other's presence. I rest when I need to. We go home when I need to. We don't have to squeeze in any big topics of conversation. In fact, we really try to keep any difficult or upsetting topics off-limits while we are on these trips. It helps to make these outings possible without overloading my ANS system.


A little stream we crossed over.



Not a lot of the trees have changed yet, but here's one that has!

I didn't get to watch the National Parks series this past week on PBS, but it's definitely on my 'to-do' list when I have less brain fog. I did flip it on one day for a few moments and happened to hear a discussion about finding God in nature.

I continue to struggle to find God's presence, to be mindful enough to stay focused on prayer, even in the midst of feeling my blessings and gratitude. I certainly seek God out, I certainly believe in God, I certainly know He is in my life. I know the peace I feel over my new treatment regimen comes from a place beyond myself. Still, moments in which I actually feel a sense of communion with God are rare. When I am in nature God's presence is perfectly clear to me.

I savor each of these outings because I have no idea how long or if I will be able to continue having them as treatment intensifies. When I can't be out in nature, I can always watch the trees and plants around our yard through the window, or bring a little piece of nature into the house. Right now we have a huge bouquet of gladiolas from a friend's garden.

I am so grateful we were able to go out today. I didn't really think about it at the time, but what a perfect way to spend the Sabbath day!

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: The Lookout (two shots); The beach/swimming area at the park; A stream; One of the trees in its Fall glory

1 comment:

QAMom said...

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing, I was just thinking about how much I miss seeing the mountains this time of year!

I started the book you recommended, last night. So far I'm really liking it!