FAQs

Sunday, August 26, 2007

A (Quick) Sunday Afternoon Visit: Jessica, Steve and Zoey


This afternoon my friend, Jessica, her husband, Steve, and their daughter (almost 2) stopped over for about an hour before they headed back home from a quick weekend visit with Jessica's parents. I have to admit that I was pretty tired after an hour with a two year old (and I wasn't even taking care of her! Hats off to my mommy friends (and to MY mom for helping out with Zoey).

No, we DID NOT put Zoey in Asher's crate! This was her very own doing. She thought it was quite fascinating--she put towels (for blankets), a little pillow, and stuffed animals in the crate to make a little bed. Then she crawled in and shut the door. It was hilarious!


Here's a picture of Jess, Zoey and me!
A little background on my friend Jessica: I have known her since fourth grade! After two years at a Friends school, I transferred back to public school in 4Th grade where I met both Jessica and my friend, Angela (whom I have blogged about before), as well as another friend, Jill, who had all known each other since kindergarten.
Angela, Jessica, Jill and I formed half of what later, in junior high school, became known as the 'eight of us'--eight girls who ate lunch together, had birthday parties, did homework together, went to fireworks together, spent endless hours on the phone, bickered with each other, competed with one another, laughed and cried together: EVERYTHING.
Jessica and I spent our closest times together during the spring thespian season--when we were rehearsing for the spring musical (which of course we spent in the chorus every darned year). Thankfully, Jess can sing, so I just stood next to her and tried to sing in tune. I only got into the shows because I could dance.
Jess and I, sadly, lost touch after college--not due to any sort of falling out, it just sort of happened--and I've been relying on Angela all these years to fill me in on Jess.
Finally, after 9 years, Jess and I got back in touch with each other and I have gotten to see her twice this year already! I saw her earlier this year in April and she immediately commented today that she could tell a difference in how I was doing from last time she was here, which really encouraged me.
I feel like I saw her yesterday when I see her. And she is so easy-going and comfortable in our house. I love the comfort of old friends--the ones you grew up with before you knew to be self-conscious about whether your house was messy or your stomach was upset. You know those friends. Jess is most famously known for opening up our pantry closet and helping herself to a snack. (The book Refrigerator Rights must have been written about friends like her.)
It's been great reconnecting with her and I am looking forward to staying in touch now that we are 'thirty-somethings' (yikes!) and seeing her on trips home.


We could not get Zoey to cooperate for the camera today--it was close to nap time and she had a bit of a cold, so she wasn't high on cooperating. Usually she's a ham for the camera--as Jess is a photographer!


Jess and husband, Steve--who she met in college and I just finally met! Yeah! They look like they go together don't they?

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

Their visit topped off what turned out to be a joyful weekend. Although I was feeling okay, I wasn't feeling my 'best' (whatever the heck that is) but I was so incredibly happy all weekend. I took a break from all medical junk (the Ambien fight, Dr. Pain, etc), which I realize has been eating away at me far too much this past month. I have been letting it stress me out, leave me emotionally and physically depleted and it has taken its toll. Enough is enough. I am going to try to manage my stress level better in this department, and have more time for those I love, which is exactly what I did this weekend. This doctor ordered a dose of happiness, not a dose of Dr. Pain or MA crap!

Yesterday I spent the afternoon talking to Carrie and celebrating our 13 year anniversary of meeting each other on move-in day at Davidson. Last night, I got to talk briefly to my Iowa cousin, Jay, whose voice I haven't heard in years. This afternoon I saw Jess and family. I received a voicemail from Melissa, who is now out of ICU and able to pick up the phone. Hearing her voicemail message and knowing that she felt well enough to pick up the phone brought me incredible joy. I woke up from my nap to a voicemail from Erika (girl, we ARE going to get to talk one of these days!) Then, this evening on my 1/4 mile walk we saw Alexandra, Anne and several other neighbors.

Exhilarating and exhausting, but full of my favorite things: friends and family, children and Asher, face-to-face visits with people, phone calls with folks I don't often get to catch up with.

Before this summer I hadn't been able to visit with so many people, see neighbors or have long phone chats without horrible consequences. I feel just a wee bit like part of a 'normal' world when I am able to have people over for a little visit or be outside and visit with neighbors, even if it is a struggle. I still pay a price. I'm still very sick. Yet somehow, I've felt incredibly joyful in a new way this summer.

In those brief moments inbetween the constant stress of chronic illness and the constant symptoms I remember what life is all about. I remember what I love so much about life. I remember what I'm fighting for. Each time a 'window' of feeling a bit better opens wider and lasts longer, hope is renewed. I notice each little thing I can do now that I couldn't before--like talk on the phone with Carrie for almost two hours, or have a two-year old over, or walk 1/4 of a mile. I may pay a price for each of these joys, but they are joys I could not have had even a few months ago. Thank you God.

Blessings,

Emily
Posted by Picasa

No comments: