FAQs

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Settling In At D and A's

It's Wednesday evening and I am just settling in for a week long stay with Dad and Abbie (D and A for short.)

Asher and I arrived this afternoon (along with everything but the kitchen sink, it seems). Abbie went above and beyond to buy all of my special foods, have everything set up for me, and all the little details in place. I really can't give Dad credit for all of this--he just gets lots of points in the enthusiasm department! (Sorry Dad). Tonight his big job was to slice a loaf of gluten-free bread. As he did so, I felt pained as I watched him mangle the loaf of bread. I'm still not quite sure how these 'slices' will be made into sandwiches. Abbie said, "Emily! Don't watch! Listen to me I am telling you a story! Don't watch! That is how I have survived staying married to him all of this time!" Okay, I have to admit I about keeled over laughing. Dad thinks he did a very good job slicing the bread. Maybe an 'A' for effort, but definitely an 'A' for humor. I expect there to be no shortage of entertainment and laughs while I am here.

I arrived this afternoon after much packing, organizing and help from Mom, shopping and cleaning by Abbie, etc. Asher even had his own little bag packed (as seeing the suitcase being packed up for me had him very anxious!). Mom unloaded and organized everything here and I'm set up in the basement which is like having my own little apartment. Today, so far, I've enjoyed a nap, dinner with Dad and Abbie, and an episode of Gilmore Girls Season 2 on the new TV, DVD and furniture D and A have down here. And the bedroom (formerly Monica's room) is purple just like mine. It's been so many years since I've been to their house that there are so many new things to see!

The biggest obstacle here is the flight of stairs, since I can't do stairs at all. Well, going down the stairs is not a problem but going UP is a big problem. So, of course Farmer Dad has a plan for this. He used his Buick Rendezvous (yes, every car he owns must be a Buick) to drive around to the basement (which is on a slope so is very bright and open) and picked me up for dinner. He even had the seat warmer on! Such service! I think we should drive the John Deere tractor instead. I hope that with all of this wet weather we are not going to ruin the grass doing this--or he's going to have grass to replant this spring.

Otherwise, I think I've brought just about everything I could need and if I haven't Abbie has bought it! Asher's here to keep me company. I can't believe how much work it was to pack for a stay at a location only 2o minutes away.

I have not stayed with Dad and Abbie since 2004. The last time I was at their house was Christmas of 2004 before my last gallbladder attack and subsequent surgery.

So what prompted this week-long stay? Well, we're all trying to find ways to cope with what we are going through. We're all trying to find ways to deal with the stress levels. Mom has not had a break at all for a very long time. I used to stay with Dad and Abbie on a regular basis to give Mom the house to herself, some alone time, and a break from all of the cooking and chores. The intensity of all of this work has only increased since 2005, and Mom needs a break. She's understandably worn out and exhausted and we all hope that this will be good for all of us. I give my Dad, Abbie and Mom a lot of credit for working on this all together as a team, uniting in what could be seen as a most awkward family situation, and hanging on through this past 10 years of crap. Dad and Abbie have been instrumental in really helping to figure out a way to make it so that I could come here and so that Mom could get a break.

Mom was so giddy with excitement about the week ahead! I had to laugh because I knew how excited she was but she didn't want to show it and make me feel badly. But, hey...who doesn't want a break from mothering, from cooking dinner every night, from taking care of all of my needs (and Asher's too)? I hope so much she'll have a good week and enjoy having the house to herself. (Mom you had better watch a movie on that nice TV upstairs!)

What I am most looking forward to doing here at Dad and Abbie's is trying to take some down time and do just five things:

1. Spend lots of quality time with Dad and Abbie. I don't see either of them as much as I would like and it's nice that we will have all of our meals together. I will also see my step-sisters and their husbands on Easter Sunday for the first time since Christmas day 2004.

2. Write, write, and write some more on my blog. I have had so much going on and happening that it's time for lots of updating. I can't believe I haven't blogged since March 4Th! I really struggle when I don't have time or energy to write and hope that this week will allow for at least some writing. Dad does get major credit for helping me get set up in the recliner in a way that I can use my computer and be reclined. (DINET friends who need to recline--I just purchased this really cool contraption called a Laptop Laid Back and it is fantastic, very portable, and according to Dad, very easy to assemble. Actually, anyone who likes to recline and type might really like this tool.)

3. Watch Davidson kick butt in the NCAA tournament on Friday afternoon! Goooo Wildcats. Dad and I are going to watch the game and dine on PB and J sandwiches (mine on the professionally sliced bread). I can't wait!

4. Rest and relax and take some 'me' time. Books on tape; Gilmore Girls on DVD (I have owned Season 2 for many years now and still have never watched it! Sarah and Jeannine have borrowed it and seen it already...how sad is that? At least I've gotten my money's worth out of this purchase); Listen to music; Cuddle with Asher.

5. Hope and try to find a little peace, balance and quiet after all of the storms lately.

Blessings,

Emily

P.S.
GO
WILDCATS!!!
(Friday afternoon 12:25 ET on CBS)

1 comment:

Corina said...

enjoy your stay emily. and do take the time for yourelf. i hope it will give you a start in finding peace and balance the things i struggle with most, like you.
love (and peace). corina : )
(btw, i would love to see you on a tractor, with your dad driving!!!)