FAQs

Friday, September 25, 2015

Look Who's Driving?!


Test Drive!


It's been a pretty big week here.

On Monday, I said to Mom: "Can I just try driving the car around the block and see how it feels?"

I think she was a little surprised, but said: "Sure."

In addition to driving around the block, I decided to make a trial drive to where I go for PT (just about a four minute drive). 

Since my 'test drive' on Monday there has been no turning back! 

It feels amazing!

I've driven to PT, to acupuncture, to a few businesses to ask for sponsorship for my fundraiser coming up in October, to massage and to CVS. 

When I went for a test drive, I had no idea I would just plunge right back into driving. I've surprised us all. Dad said it made him so happy he cried. 

By Wednesday, Mom had me back on the car insurance making me officially 'legal'. 

Let's be clear about why this is such a BIG. FREAKING. DEAL. 

I have not driven in 14 years. FOURTEEN YEARS!

Up until 2001 I had still been able to do some driving to appointments and such, but had a major relapse and never drove again. The only car I have ever driven for a long period of time was my 1989 sky blue Ford Tempo. So, Mom's CRV seems like a dream!

Thank goodness most of the skills come back pretty quickly. I still have a bit of adjusting to do to how smooth the newer cars drive, feeling comfortable with stopping distances and turns and my parking leaves a lot to be desired. 

Let's see how long it is before Mom and I are fighting over who gets the car. :) (Right now she is excited over how much time she has freed up from schlepping me to and from all of my appointments and on all of my errands.) More freedom for me also means more freedom for those who take care of me.

Blessings,

Emily

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is WAY AWESOME!! I imagine it might feel like you're a giddy 16 year old again? Gav drove with a huge grin on his face for weeks. We'll have to have a parking contest over in the church parking lot ;-)

Rachel Lundy said...

This is wonderful! I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your new freedom!

Unknown said...

Amazing! I'm so happy for you!