FAQs

Monday, March 09, 2009

Christine: Reconnecting After Fourteen Years!


Today, Christine and her baby Missy spent the afternoon hanging out at my house. I have not seen Christine in FOURTEEN years! That's kind of mind-boggling to me. All along, we've been living in the same town and didn't even know it. I really believe that we found each other now, and not earlier, for a reason.

Moments like today are when I love Facebook so much. Without Facebook, Christine and I never would have found each other again.  I'm amazed that she found me soon after I joined. We have been keeping up through my blog, her blog, and Facebook, and finally saw each other face to face for the first time since the summer after my freshman year of college.

Life has changed a great deal for both of us--and we've both been through our own very different, but very difficult journeys. However, I did read an interesting story about reconnecting on Facebook with high school friends who knew us 'when'. It made me better understand the comfort in reconnecting with people who knew us during that period of our lives. 

Christine and I used to spend quite a bit of time together hanging out at my house, having meals here, and driving here from school in my 1989 Light Blue Ford Tempo (so fashionable!). We were both involved in yearbook, newspaper, and thespians.

Today, we had hummus, veggies, pineapple and tea. We talked and started to catch up on the last fourteen years. We have a ways to go yet! Missy, as you can see from the picture, is a very content and happy baby. I could not believe how well she did for an entire three hours here. She just likes to hang out and cuddle. And she will let anyone hold her--so that meant lots of cuddle time for me!

While Christine was eating her lunch I gave Missy a bottle. Missy fell asleep in my arms! So, here she is all scrunched up sleeping in my arms. I look so not maternal in this picture! Somehow, though, Missy found this position quite comfortable so why argue with that? She was sound asleep! 

Christine also just stepped right into helping to get lunch out and clean up while I sat on the sofa with Missy. Thank you girlfriend!

Missy loves her feet! She will do some serious acrobatics to get to those feet of hers! Or to my belt--which she found fascinating and very tasty.

I'm really trying to find some people locally to hang out with for the first time since getting sick. I love the idea that Christine is just a hop, skip, and a jump from my house. It makes it so much easier to say: "Hey let's just get together for an hour," because she wants to get out of the house or I want some company. It also takes away some of the pressure if I don't feel well or if something comes up with Missy or Christine's son, Ashton. 

I'm also really trying to plan things that I enjoy in between my shots to try to give myself a bit of an 'emotional boost' before I start herxing really badly. Sometimes I'm not sure if this helps, or makes things worse! Because I just want more of the 'good days' and the bad days somehow seem even more difficult. 

Anyways, we had a very easy and pleasant afternoon beginning to get reacquainted after so many years. I hope we won't be strangers for another fourteen years again!!!

Thanks for the visit Christine! 

Blessings,

Emily

Photos:  Christine, Missy (age six months), me.

2 comments:

Rachel Lundy said...

What a great visit! How fun to reconnect with an old friend, and one who lives nearby! Thanks for sharing your happiness.

M.S. said...

What is the story you read about reconnecting with high school friends? I think that is great that you guys met up! How wonderful!

Believe me, without Facebook, I don't think I would be in touch with anyone from High School.