FAQs

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Our (Belated) Hanukkah




Hanukkah fell very early this year (early December), when Mom and I were just completely exhausted after her heart attack. We weren't at all ready for, or in the spirit of, Hanukkah.  One of the blessings of Hanukkah, however, IS the fact that it falls during the dark days of winter. The candles serve as a great light for our weary souls. I never do well this time of year, but as is always the case, the light of the candles brought great comfort. 

Mom and I have mostly stopped giving gifts for Hanukkah, and instead choose a few charities to which to donate. This takes a tremendous stress off of both of us, and feels much more enjoyable.  We lit the candles each night, said the prayers, and held hands. Asher wasn't always as observant of prayer time as he should have been! We still use the same prayers that my grandmother did, and we also marked the anniversary of her death and lit her Yahrzeit candle during Hanukkah this year.


Last Saturday, after things had calmed down a (little) bit, Mom and both longed for some sort of outing, some sort of 'normal' activity, and something fun. We're both a bit stir crazy these days!

We went for a beautiful drive in the country, while we listened to the James Taylor and Carole King CD I had given mom as a small Hanukkah gift.

Asher came along too, and I think he thoroughly enjoyed the outing. He knew to bark at the horse and buggy, but seemed completely perplexed by the free range turkeys at the farm we stopped at. 



Our destination was a local pottery shop, to pick out Mom's Hanukkah gift to me: new mugs for tea and a honey pot. I have wanted to go to this shop for a very long time (and we already own several pieces of his pottery), but had never been. I got to go with Mom, pick out the mugs (you must try them out to find the one with the perfect handle and the the glaze just the way you like it!), and chat with the owner. 

Mom also got me a tea infuser, so that I can try brewing loose tea. Another fun food to explore and learn about! I have wanted a new honey pot (ours broke), my own tea mugs, and a tea infuser for a long while now.

On our way home we stopped at an organic Amish farm to buy local farm fresh eggs as well as some raw cacao nibs, which the owner of the pottery shop raved about as a super food. We'll see. First, we have to figure out what to make with this stuff! It is interesting (and exciting) to see some of the Amish farms turning to organic farming now.


Our last stop on the way home was to take pictures of the round barn. I had trouble walking the distance needed for a good photo, but you get a sense of this beautiful structure.  As it was, I had already over done, and payed the price with a sleepless night that evening. (Grrrr....)

 I have loved this landmark ever since I was a little girl.

Mom and I felt like we created a wonderful Hanukkah memory and experience. The pottery shop is definitely a destination in and of itself. We discovered a new organic local farm. The sun was shining. We listened to good music. Asher kept us great company. Mostly, we both felt happy and relaxed!!

I love where we live. There is such bounty to be found in this area, if only we look for it.

Blessings,

Emily

Photos:  Round barn; driving through the country; purchases from our outing; round barn.

2 comments:

Rachel Lundy said...

Happy Belated Hanukkah!

It looks like you and your mom had a lovely outing. I really like those pottery mugs and honey pot. My mom buys pottery pieces for me too, and I love how beautiful unique each piece is. (Using the word beautiful now makes me think of Martha! :))

What a cool barn that is! I don't believe I have ever seen a round barn before. It is so pretty and unique!

Love you, Em.

QAMom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.